Monday Reading, The I'm Feeling Slightly Overwhelmed Edition

Anyone else know that feeling?

Yeah, me, too. Welcome to the club my friends.

It's not that I have so much to do, it's more that the day's already more than half gone, and I haven't yet finished half of what I'm SUPPOSED to do today. Including this post.

So, yeah. Overwhelmed a bit.

In other news, I'm thinking about writing a book entitled, "How to Bring Peace to Your Home By Hanging Your Children Upside-Down By Their Toenails for Fifteen Minutes a Day." I think it could be a national bestseller, right???

Seriously, if it was that easy, we'd ALL be hanging upside-down by our toenails for at least fifteen minutes a day.

But anyway.

It's already MARCH. Yikes. Seems as though the days and weeks and months are flying faster than ever.

KayKay is steadily progressing in her work, and despite fairly frequent meltdowns, we seem to be settling into a groove. And even better, she's really learning. A LOT. I can see forward movement, and it is simply awesome. That could the hormone-induced, total-drug-trip-type euphoria from the last fifteen minutes of sweet, blessed silence speaking, though.

In other words: don't hold me to it. Tomorrow I may want to run screaming from the house.

But anyway.

I don't think I've mentioned this, but the Ladybug is READING. I know! I KNOW!! It's hard to believe. And, she basically started it on her own, and after just a couple of weeks, she's learned about thirty or forty words. She can read simple sentences, and is starting to put together her own. Best of all, she *loves* it, and thinks that learning to read is great fun. Totally counting that blessing!

So. Now that it's like seven hours later and the childrens are finally in bed and I'm ready to go curl up next to them, I'll finish this thing. On to reading!

Books 

So, last week I wrote about The Scarlet Stockings, and I must revise my original statement about mature younger readers being able to handle this one... I finished the last twenty-or-so pages, and in them are some further mature themes about Daphne's biological mother, rejection and self-hatred. Included are a few colorful (although not what I consider awful or blasphemous) phrases scattered through some intensely emotional moments. 

Conclusion: I WOULD NOT recommend this book for a child under the age of 14. Also, the ending is a bit rushed and leaves some questions unanswered, besides being utterly unrealistic. I will also be editing last week's Reading to include this information.

This week, I've read a bit more in the short-story collection of How to Fit a Car Seat on a Camel, and it is, in a word, simply awesome. At some point, I will actually share one of the stories on here, I think (or at least, part of one), but if you have the opportunity, and you are a mommy of any kind, I can't recommend it highly enough. Sometimes, it's just good to giggle at someone else's mishaps with the knowledge that at least it's not you

I also devoured a delightful little children's book called The Adventures of Nanny Piggins, by R. A. Spratt. Now, this is not your typical children's book. To begin with, Nanny Piggins is indeed, a pig. And she is not only a nanny, but she is a former circus pig of great fame and renown. 

Reading Nanny Piggins is an adventure in and of itself. It is the story of a pig and three children. The children are those of a skinflint lawyer, a Mr. Green, who would like nothing more than to be rid of them, but because that might cast an unfavorable light upon his character, he suffers through their presence. Their mother has died, and their father the lawyer, being everlastingly cheap, ends up hiring a pig in the form of Nanny Piggins to be their nanny. And oh! What happens after that is utter hilarity.

But I'll start with the cons: Nanny Piggins is NOT a role model. She basically allows the children to do anything and everything imaginable. The author pokes great fun at this in her witty, but be aware. 

The children are allowed to read trashy novels (although there is no explanation given as to what a "trashy" novel is), watch horror movies to ensure that they don't sleep (thus also ensuring that they stay up all night playing games), and eat candy or cakes or whatever else is sweet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner each and every day. Nanny Piggins is also rather imprudent with money, and inexperienced in the world at large. And she is an habitual liar. However. In my opinion, the author does a good job reinforcing the fact that these are *not* traits that children should emulate.

There is also the fact of the dear (note the sarcasm) Mr. Green's atrocious behaviour toward his children. And a couple of scenes involving arson (although this is addressed directly in the footnotes, of which this book has quite a few). 

Lastly, the childrens' characters are not quite as fully-developed as I would have liked to see in the book. The book is truly about Nanny Piggins, and in thinking about it, the children are there mostly to reinforce the strength of her character.

Now for the pros: The writing is fantastic, firstly. The author is Australian, which, in her writing, creates a pleasing blend of British and American phrases and humour. The use of language and descriptive words in the book is a joy, too.

Second, the sheer ridiculousness of Nanny Piggins' and the childrens' adventures should delight most children, even young readers (or listeners) as young as four or five. The story moves briskly and never takes itself (or anything else) too seriously. 

As I mentioned earlier, R. A. Spratt, does seem to take pains to highlight the fact that Nanny Piggins does a great many things that are not right or quite good for children (and adults), and I definitely appreciate that.  

The children are, just that, children, and don't try to be anything more (which I appreciate in this instance). And they all seem to be fairly level-headed and have a good dose of common sense, despite Nanny Piggins' complete lack of it. 

And then we get to Nanny Piggins herself. Nanny Piggins' character is unexpectedly refreshing, not to mention completely hilarious. I love her utter audacity, her brilliance, her unequivocal love of all things unhealthy, her shrewd and calculating ability to size up any situation and make it work for her, her generous spirit. She actually greatly reminds me of someone I know and love dearly (and a little bit myself, too), which made me laugh all the harder at some of the craziness that takes place in the books. It was almost as though I'd lived some of it. 

Conclusion: This is a book that simply BEGS to be read aloud. The storyline is perfect for it, and in reading it to your children there will be plenty of fantastic opportunities to have teaching moments about all sorts of important subjects like eating habits, lying, keeping your word, treating others with kindness even when you really don't like them, thinking things through, etc. Despite the fact that Nanny Piggins does everything to the contrary of what I and most parents in the world might do, I highly recommend this book. At the very least, check it out from the library and read it yourself. It is too fun to miss!

I am actually doing some reading in other books, but I am not going to include them this week. So sorry. I'll get to them next week! 

And on to links... Yay! 

Links

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not Catholic. 
And yet. 

Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, and then it's Ash Wednesday, and now I'm thinking about Lent. 

Not like, "Oh, Lent is here, whoo, it'll be Easter soon." But instead, "Oh. Lent is here. Maybe I should do something." 

Uh-oh. Remember that post that I wrote about making change and truth - real truth - revealing itself? Yeah. I think this might be part of it. 

Now, I have NO IDEA what I might *do* for Lent (YET! I still have time!!), but... I have been doing some reading.  I think, somehow, I am drawn to the idea of sacrificing some portion of my life as a way of honoring God. 

It's so easy to be comfortable all the time. Change is slow in coming, for me, at least. And I am lulled by complacency and comfort. But to willingly choose to sacrifice complacency and comfort for Adonai, ah! My character certainly could use the refining, even in small things.  

Baruch Atah Adonai Eloheinu Melech Ha-Olam, boreh p'ri ha'gafen. Omaine.

So all that to say that several of the links this week are centered around Lent.

So, on we go. 
Giving Up Narcissism For Lent: Eat From Your Pantry. Wow, this is a good one. And I love how she ties it in to prayer for her son. 
Make-It-Yourself-Monday, Cream Cheese: Eat From Your Pantry. Another one from her, and WOW, I had no idea that cream cheese was so easy to make!!! I'm *totally* going to try this! I completely admit that my tree-hugger-hippy-commune roots are showing here, but still. Love it. (And just do a quick google search on the uses for the leftover whey. WHOA. Awesome. Totally tree-hugger-hippy-commune.)

Lent 2010: The Chicken Coop. I love what she says here about the mother and her sacrifice of sleep. Whew. That one stopped me in my tracks... I'm actually considering it.

I Said NO! And It's Okay!: The Unplugged Mom. This is a loooong read, but oh-so-very good!!

Rock On!: Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty. I LOVE THIS POST. And I now must watch Exit Through The Gift Shop and completely emulate this poster and his family. SUCH A COOL IDEA. That is all.
The Futility of Comparison, Homeschooling Style: Harmony Art Mom. This is a great article about being who you are as a family. Love. 
Trouble Sleeping? Detoxing? Try Epsom Salts!: Health, Home & Happiness. This is a very interesting (and short) little article about the potential benefits of epsom salts (which I am already a fan of). Further cemented my position, for sure. 

Parenting Your Polar Opposite: Steady Mom. Now, while I don't consider either of my children my polar opposite, I can completely relate to what the author wrote in this post. So good.

Encouraging Children To Embrace Lifestyle Change: SimpleMom. Ooooh, this is a *really* good one. And so timely, because neither of my children likes change. And neither do I all that much, for that matter!
Parenting Difficult Emotions; Improving Myself For My Son: Fabulous Mama Chronicles. Although this author's baby is still that - a baby - she throws out some REALLY VALID POINTS about changing ourselves for the betterment of our children. Heavy, deep, and awesome. I really appreciate her openness and I can really identify with a lot of what she says. Good! 

Okay, it's been fun and all, but it's bedtime. G'night! Enjoy your reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment