Nature Connection: Literally.

So.

My fabulous friend, Sherry, of Living And Learning fame and more fabulousness, always hosts this totally fantabulous link-up called Nature Connections at the end of every month.
(Click the button at the bottom to check it out!)

And I always forget to link up. Or I just don't feel like we've actually CONNECTED to nature in a post-worthy way.

Fast-forward to this afternoon.

Sherry sends out a reminder that the post will be closing soon. Which gets me to thinking.

"We're going to the park this afternoon. I should bring the camera."

And oh, boy, am I ever glad I did!

The Ladybug had a nature connection of the literal kind. Or perhaps, I should call it a nature epiphany.


My kids are both like Dug: "SQUIRREL!
It started with a squirrel. A somewhat blurry squirrel, but still. Damn squirrel, stop twitching!


Anyway.


I call it Squirrel Nutkin. Awww, isn't he cute?


I'm still feeling all Beatrix Potter-ish (Can you tell??). And since we just listened to an audiobook of her stories, I keep hearing it pronounced, "Squir-REL" in my mind.


But anyway.


So it started with a curious fat little Squirrel Nutkin.


And a curious little girl with some actual nuts.

The squirrel and the girl were BOTH curious.



They got closer...


And CLOSER...


To each other. 

And then it happened...

The point of contact:


Ack! Squirrel Nutkin grabbed her finger by mistake!

Oh yes, there was a connection all right. 

But apparently the Ladybug wasn't too upset because she started back up again almost immediately. And I think Squirrel Nutkin was sorry for his mistake because he immediately came back, too, and very gently took the nut from her hand (not that you can tell from these next photos, but it's true!).


But she was MUCH more cautious after that (even though he didn't really hurt her). 

I think this photo is nearly my favorite because of her expression. I'm just so sad that it's blurry! 
Sheer terror! Ha!
Of course, KayKay had to get in on the squirrel action... But with STYLE. 

 
Yes, she IS actually holding a nut up against the tree while striking a pose.
And that was that. Squirrel Nutkin went on to bury a few of his nuts just to dig them up and eat them two minutes later.

All's well that ends well. 


Oh, have I mentioned that up until now, it has been *both* my girls' greatest aspiration (among many, but this one ranks high) to catch and "tame" a squirrel? 

Yes. I kid you not. They chase them. They call them. They talk to them. They stalk them. They've made (very elaborate and creative) traps for them all over our miniscule front yard. I have found drawings of plans made for squirrel catching and taming.

I know. It's kinda weird. 

But I guess there are a lot worse things they could be planning, right?

And after today, perhaps the obsession will fade into the twilight of childhood memory... I HOPE.

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! What great pics, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, isn't it??? We had such fun! Never had anything like that happen before. :O)

    Thanks for the compliment - I really just need to knuckle down and make a concerted effort to post pics on here more often (at least once a week!), because it really does make posting that much more fun. :O)

    ReplyDelete