Monday Reading, Snowy December Edition

This post got put off due to some unhappy, unexpected medical issues. They are now resolved, and it is now Tuesday at oh-dark-thirty AM. Oh, well. We can pretend it's still Monday morning, right?
 _________________________________________________________________________________

It's snowing this morning - big, beautiful flakes that catch the light and dance with them. I had a ROUGH night last night, to say the least, so I'm getting a slow start this morning, still cradling my coffee in one hand as I watch the flakes twirl and pirouette outside our window.

There was much screeching and delight from the two little girls who inhabit this space upon discovering that there is actual, real snow falling outside. In her exuberance, my delighted and delightful little KayKay completely forgot that snow is COLD, and ran outside in a light shirt, sweats, and BAREFOOT. *Sigh* And of course, the Ladybug was at her heels, still dressed in her nightgown. Fortunately, I didn't have to do anything but sit there and wait. Sure enough, twenty seconds later, they were back in the door, looking shocked and exclaiming, "It's COLD." Well, uh, yeah.

Then there was the mad rush to go upstairs and get appropriate snow clothes. We're now on the third round of adding more layers. I've not offered much help in that department other than to encourage more clothes each time. Bad mommy, I know... But like I said, last night was rough. And they'll figure it out, they're smart kids.

I hope the snow sticks, though - it's been a long time since we've had a Christmastime snow, and there's simply nothing quite like enjoying snowfall this time of year.

Anyway, on to the "reading" part of this post.

Like I said yesterday, I've got loads to share. I don't know I'll even get to it all today. Let me swig down the last of (this cup of) my coffee, and I'll get started.

Books

Since I last posted Monday Reading, I have completely finished the Gideon Trilogy (a la, The Time Travelers, The Time Thief, and Time Quake) by Linda Buckley Archer. Which is well over 900 pages, if you're counting. Not that I am, or anything. It's been a fun ride, though. I love, love, LOVE the first two books. Totally worth the read... The third book, while it is a good read and ties up everything nicely... I don't know, it just wasn't quite as good. It ended exactly as it should have, which was not really the ending I wanted. Being me, I wanted everybody happy, and in essence, they were, but not in the way I wanted them to be. So just be aware, if you're like me, the last book might not quite live up to your expectations. But definitely good reads, all three of them. The Time Thief is equally as compelling as the first book, though. I would not, however, place these books into the hands of my eight-year-old. Perhaps when she's at the twelve end of the eight-to-twelve reading level, but not before. There is nothing questionable in the content (except for one scene in the last book, Time Quake, in which a peripheral character dies, but it is not graphic at all, just very sad), it is simply too mature for my KayKay as of yet. 

I've also been reading snippets of Pablo Neruda's The Book of Questions. It was required reading in one of my creative writing classes, and to put it simply, it changed me. Reading this slim volume packs a punch. My writing and the way I consider the things my eyes behold have been forever altered through reading Neruda's poignant, eloquent, beautifully penned questions. One of things I love most about it is that it literally is a book of questions. There are NO answers. And I love that. The answers are wide open possibilities. This is, quite possibly, my favorite book of poetry ever. I mean, read these few of my favorites, and tell me they don't make your heart break and sing all at the same time: 

Which yellow bird 
fills its nest with lemons? 

Why do trees conceal
the splendor of their roots? 

Is it true our desires 
must be watered with dew? 

Why does the professor teach
the geography of death? 

Do tears not yet spilled
wait in small lakes? 

What will they say about my poetry
who never touched my blood? 

Who shouted with glee 
when the color blue was born? 

Ah. Beautiful. These are just a few of the questions from the first pages of the book. If you haven't picked it up, DO! 

Although I haven't read it yet, I am waiting on Matt Bronleewe's Illuminated to come... It looks interesting. It's apparently similar, but NOT THE SAME, in theme to The Da Vinci Code, except without all the blasphemy. Ha! Although it's rather sad for me to admit, I did read The Da Vinci Code, and was not very impressed. The idea of the riddles and the mystery was thoroughly compelling, but the "major revelation" was not. It was laughable, in my opinion. (If you loved it, forgive me. We can still be friends.) Brown might as well have introduced space aliens (because when you run out of original ideas, there are ALWAYS space aliens. Or Jesus having an illegitimate love-child with Mary Magdalene. You know, whatever.). However, this book, Illuminated, looks intriguing. I hope it lives up to my expectations... And not Dan Brown's space aliens. If not, it'll be re-listed on Amazon.com, and you'll hear all about it. Well, you'll hear all about it either way.

A friend of mine gave me - ages ago - Hood, by Stephen Lawhead. I've FINALLY picked it up and am about fifty pages into it so far. I've read Steven Lawhead in the past - a number of years ago, actually - and liked his stuff, for the most part. I stopped reading him some years ago because I wasn't that much into his writing, but so far, this is a very interesting take on the story of Robin Hood. I'll let you know how it develops. 

Articles

It being the holidays and all, I've been reading a lot about gifting and Advent and Hanukkah and all kinds of other fun things. Enjoy! 

A Jesse Tree Devotional: Planted By Streams: Like this blogger, we too are following Ann Voskamp's Jesse Tree Devotional. I am planning on making these ornaments in the next day or two - I have the supplies, but don't know if I will get to it today or not. 

Two Favorite Fall Projects: Planted By Streams: I love this idea! We will be making coffee filter leaves next year, I think. 

And one more from here... Art Boards: Planted By Streams: These are awesome. I totally want some for the girls! 

Vintage Kids' Books My Kid Loves: This blog is very interesting and gives some great inspiration and ideas for older books to look for at thrift stores and online.

I would LOVE to post what I'm going to make for holiday gifts on here, but I can't (Sorry, Dad, you won't find out for a few days yet!), so instead, I'll post some of the OTHER things I've been looking at to make. Starting with Rhoda’s Peppermint Hot Fudge Sauce: The Kitchn. Yum-O. Unfortunately, I don't think this would ship well... But I am still thinking of making some anyway.

Then there's the Roasted Garlic Lemon Mustard: Local Kitchen. Wow, this looks amazing. This is definitely a project for another time, but I'm filing it away.

And how about Candy Cane Syrup: Storybook Woods?? Does the name of of THIS POST on THIS BLOG get any more fabulous? I wanted to make it just from the name... And then I read the post, and I wanted to make it even more!

And then I found The Thankful Jar: Little Birdie Secrets. Perfect!&


I can't divulge where I got this Wikipedia link from (as it also has to do with gifting), but I thought this tradition was absolutely delightful. Does anyone else want thirteen desserts now, too? Seriously, the French know how to do a whole lot of things right. Despite what SOME PEOPLE might think. Ahem.


How could I not want to make apple butter with this, Carolina Braunschweig's Apple Butter: The Wednesday Chef?? Looks wonderful, doesn't it?

You must think I'm hungry by now (which I actually am, but that has nothing to do with it), but actually I've been looking at these different links for days... Anyway... Enjoy, friends!

2 comments:

  1. UGH!!! I just wrote a whole long comment and it got deleted. UGH!

    Anyways.......

    The Illuminated sounds very interesting. I haven't seen it at the store but I think I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

    Hood I have seen and it made pretty decent sales when the 2nd one came out. Its something I'm considering picking up buuut Idk Ill wait for you to first. :)

    Right now I'm reading some non-kid friendly stuff ;) "The secret diary of a call girl." Its awesome. I watched the show as a guilty pleasure and the book it originated from is just as good. ;)

    Then I want to read "the Strain" modern original Dracula story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry. I hate it when that happens!

    Sounds like interesting reading that you're doing, too! I'm planning on looking both of them up.

    I'll be sure to let everyone know how the others turn out! :O)

    ReplyDelete