Poetry From A Third-Grade Mind...

So as part of our homeschooling adventures this year, we have incorporated a lot of creative writing exercises in the form of poetry writing. KayKay generally loves these exercises, although there has been some debate about what, exactly, poetry can BE. In her mind, ALL poems MUST rhyme (much like her Mama thought at that age :O), and heaven forbid that a poem be only one line, or worse, ONE WORD. It's been fun and interesting, to say the least.

One of her first poems was the one she sent to Opa for his birthday. Too cute.

Anyway, we've had a considerable number of poetry assignments, and I thought I'd share some of the more entertaining ones here. I've copied them word-for-word, incorrect spelling and grammar and all (YES, it makes me twitch... And laugh. And twitch some more. :O). Enjoy!

September 22nd, 2010, Untitled

I love fairys 
because they are cool
but some are just a fool (Cosmo!)
they have little acorn hats
but they really, really hate cats
when they grow up, 
they get a job
one thing more they get 
is a corn on the cob house. 

October 25th, 2010, Praise the Lord for Rain

Rain goes pit-pat-pit-pat
When it trickles down my hat
Rain sounds like the big blue sea
Which I would hate to have to flee. 
Praise the Lord for the rain!

I love the sound of rain
Going down the window pane
rain sounds like small stones falling
which sometimes make me start bahlling (don't know why but it does)
Praise the Lord for rain! 

October 26th, 2010, I am Sad

I am sad not glad
and I also feel mad
I feel terrible
and my misery is unbearable
I feel so so bad

I feel terrible today
and my happieness was washed away
I don't feel so sappy
and I hope I feel better snappy
Will today be a good day? 

(This last poem was written after she and I had had a bit of a power struggle over the worthiness of one of her assignments... Can you tell? ;O)

No comments:

Post a Comment