Monday Reading...

It's that day again, Monday... I feel like singing the song by The Mamas & The Papas, "Monday, Monday..." Don't ask me why, it just feels like that kind of day. The sky outside is grey and rather foreboding, as though winter has suddenly thrust herself upon us like an unannounced guest who comes and stays for altogether too long. And seeing as it is not yet winter, I'd like her to hold off her visit for a little while longer, at least. Let me prepare, Mother Winter! We're not ready for you, yet!

Does anyone else envision winter as an old woman in long, patchy skirts with silver hair done up in a bun and a careworn face? Not the plump, slightly-mischievous visage of Mrs. Claus, but instead one with work-weathered hands, an old grey shawl, and piercing blue eyes, whose persona is a mystery and whose laughter unforgettable - who can forget those crystalline winter days of snow and dazzling blue?

Anyway, that's how I see her.  But I am not quite ready for her... Give us a few more weeks of autumn's ripe days, please!

But today is a grey, winter-esque day, one perfect for filling with good reading and cozy blankets and hot tea.

I've had my tea, but I'm missing my cozy blanket (and it is rather cold in here, too!)... I should get one before I pass on my reading list, but I won't... So here 'tis! Enjoy, dear ones.

Books

I'm more than halfway through The Time Travelers, and it still has not disappointed. I am thoroughly engaged by the storyline and characters, enough, in fact, I would continue to read it simply for pleasure, rather than as a "pre-screening" for KayKay. I will certainly be purchasing the other two books in the series, as well. I look forward to seeing how it continues to unfold!

As for other reading, it's been mostly children's books of late. As if that's any surprise... But I'm rather glad of it, as I think my brain has been too overwhelmed by everything else going on to really appreciate anything that's supposed to be "adult." However, I am up for a good theological, political, or the current state of affairs discussion at anytime, so let me know! I need to keep my few functioning brain cells cognizant in some form or fashion. :O) 

Anyway... Other books I've read or been reading: 

Autumnblings, by Douglas Florian. A delightful collection of poems about fall. What's there NOT to like here??? AND... I've just discovered that there's one book for every season. They are Winter Eyes, Summersaults, and Handsprings. Love!!

Esther's Story, by Diane Wolkstein... Love, love, love the illustrations in this book. Love the way the story of Esther is retold. It is so down-to-earth... So real. Just plain good!

Mozart Finds A Melody, by Stephen Costanza. Found this book at a dear friend's house, the lovely Miss Christy of The Abundant Life. Love her, love this book! :O)

Lasagna Gardening, by Patricia Lanza... Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, fabulous Miss Olivia for lending this to me, what a great book! (As ALL the books you've lent me are! I so love sharing good books with good friends... Ah!) Anyway, I have my "lasagna stew" going in some containers already, preparing for spring. Here's to composting and layering and gardening! I hope my brown thumb turns green over the winter.

Articles

I Didn't Do It: Getting Through Today - My sweet friend Sabrina's blog about her babies and being a parent to a darling, gorgeous, amazing special needs child.


Gifting And Giving: Gathering Spriggs - My wonderful friend Heather brings such great perspective to the upcoming season of giving...

In doing some research for a project, I ran across this poem by Richard Chess in a post titled Chocolate Labs For The Lord on The Arty Semite. Goodness, I love this poem. It is so funny and provocative and haunting. Beautiful. 

In Honer Our Hero's: Cake Wrecks - Just because it's always good for a laugh.


Don't Follow Your Dream: National Post - I was clued into this article by a Facebook friend, and WOW. It really makes you think! 


And lastly, this is a video, which is unusual for me, because I don't often watch videos online, and NEVER post them, but my friend Miss Julie (of yesterday's Pow-Wow chronicles) posted this earlier today, and it was so powerful I had to share. Changing Education Paradigms by RSA Animate. Ah. Maz. Ing. Seriously. This is one of the most provocative and enlightening videos I've seen on the educational system, and I'm still thinking about it, several hours later. I'm certain I'll be thinking about it in several days. As Miss Julie said, "This is one of the reasons why we're homeschooling." Yes. What is highlighted in this video as being wrong with our educational system today is one of the many reasons why we are homeschooling... Watch, and tell me it doesn't make you think!

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh. wow. thanks for including me on such a powerful list!! im excited to read some of these other finds!!
    Sorry I missed you Saturday. I so wanted to go but ended up having to help a friend who fell and broke her hip. I promise, romise I will make it to your next event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your description of Mother Winter. Mine is similar: I always think of Tasha Tudor stirring a pot of soup on cold winter days.
    http://www.amazon.com/Private-World-Tasha-Tudor/dp/0316112925/ref=pd_sim_b_10
    (this Amazon link brought to you by Internet Explorer as Firefox is STILL not working on my computer - LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Heather, of course YOU'RE on my reading list! You made it into my soup post last week, too (I think... I'm having a mommy-brain moment and don't feel like looking to see... If not, I have a post specially reserved for you regarding your "Sacred Sustenance" post! :O)... I love it! I have no idea how to do "trackbacks," or I would have posted this on your site, sorry! We missed you on Saturday, but it sounds like you were much needed. I hope your friend is recuperating, goodness!

    Thank you so much, Christy! I have a very clear image of her in my mind, interestingly... But yes, Tasha Tudor, indeed!! And for the record, I think it's both hilarious and awful that Amazon is not cooperating... Ha! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving the reading list!! :) im curious to know what sort of education (ie teaching) material your reading as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Collette! It means a lot to me that you approve. :O) My "teaching" material basically stems from a few homeschooling reference books and my imagination at this point... KayKay's only in third grade, so I think I have a handle on it... Most of the time, at least. I am planning on doing some more reading soon, though, once I can whittle down the pile of books on my nightstand to something less than 15. :O) Anyway, does that answer your question?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. well.... I found this website doing some HW. idk if you've seen it but seems to have some tips. Ill keep you abreast with anything I read though it may be a little advanced (ie. high school) but there should be ways to tailor it. :P

    http://www.essortment.com/family/howwriteyouro_shvb.htm

    ReplyDelete