Monday Reading

It's Monday.

I've got laundry going, dishes going, chicken soup cooking, muffins making, I'm working on a project for my mentor in Florida, and editing photos.

Multitasking at it's best.

Wow. I'm impressed with myself. And not that I would tell you what to do or anything, but you should be, too.

The rest of the house looks like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb test site, but you know how it goes. Superwoman I am not. And generally when I try to juggle too many balls at once for too long, I end up dropping something. Let's hope it's not any of the dishes when I empty the dishwasher.

Anyway.

It's Monday. The day of the week where I've started posting my "weekly" (although some of these I've been reading for more than a week!) reading list. So, here goes. Enjoy! :O)

Books


The Cricket in Times Square (This is a delightful book children's I recently picked up at a local thrift store for 25 cents. What a treasure! I'm only about 1/2 through it (as I always have about thirty-two books going at once), but I love it! I can't wait to find out what happens to Chester Cricket and his friends.)

The Time Travelers, Book One of The Gideon Trilogy (I also recently picked this up on super sale, and am also thoroughly enjoying it. It is surprisingly well-written for juvenile fiction (I'm only three or four chapters in), but not pretentious or overbearing in style. If it turns out to be as good a book as I think it is, this may be next on KayKay's shelf... Although she also has a large stack of books in the "To Be Read" pile. I'm starting her early, what can I say?)

I also recently finished The Mysterious Benedict Society, and while I really wanted to love it, I just couldn't. This one will be passed on to others who will appreciate it more, I think. It was good, but there were too many unknowns in the story, and some of it was just implausible, or rather - implausibly put-together is a more apt description. I think there are some good morals to the story, although I'm not certain that children would pick up on those as it is the most unlikeable character in the story who is the hero in the end. That was the one thing I had the most trouble with, actually. She did become slightly more likeable as the book went on, but not enough to ever really make me feel comfortable that she was the one who saved the day. However, all that having been said, I may well end up reading the next two books, too. I simply haven't decided if this is one that my girls will read (as children) yet or not.

Farm City (This was a surprisingly funny, insightful and simply good memoir by Novella Carpenter. I picked it up on a whim for 25 cents as well - brand new - and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I don't agree with all of her philosophies, necessarily, but it furthered my growing interest in knowing the source of my food, and has really caused me to consider some attitudes I had toward food... A post about this will be forthcoming! :O)

Articles





What You Can Do: Rage Against the Minivan - This is a post about the global orphan crisis that a friend alerted me to through Facebook... Just wow.

Tips For Sharing: Cheaper By The Half Dozen

Healthy Homeschoolers: The Homeschool Classroom

Whole Foods For The Holidays: Naturally Knocked Up - No matter what, you gotta love the name of this blog. I didn't even look at the title while I was reading the article... And now I look, and it's a fertility blog. Those of you who know me will know all the reasons why that kind of blog is the LAST place I'd normally go. However... It is a good article, with some great links to great food. :O)

Happy Monday, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment