Random Mutterings

I have 800 things floating around in the back of my mind that I'd love to blog about, but I'm fighting the beginnings of a sinus infection (I refuse to believe that it's a full-blown infection, no matter how much pain I may be in), and it's definitely affecting my brain function. So this is a random collection of whatever happens to float through the front of my mind. Anyhoo, let the mutterings commence.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some of the girls' recent creative word usage... Too cute not to share.

Opposite! (The Ladybug saw an octopus on TV)

I'm making myself a taco. (KayKay at bedtime, when she wrapped herself in her blanket, burrito-style. She couldn't remember the word "burrito.") I now call her my "little taco" at bedtime. She thinks it's hilarious.

Seady, ret, GO! (The Ladybug wanted to race and needed me to say "Seady, ret, GO!" in order for her to have a race... Hee, hee!)
____________________________________________________________________________________

I recently had a conversation with KayKay that left me laughing so hard I could hardly breathe. The back story: when we were in Florida, KayKay watched several episodes of Raising Sextuplets, during which there were a couple of commercials for the show Little People, Big World. A very lively discussion about "little people" ensued after one particular commercial, during which KayKay was informed of the fact that not all people (or grown-ups) are the same size. Fast forward several weeks, and I got this conversation with KayKay:

KayKay: Look at that car, it's SO little!

Me: I know, it is pretty small.

KayKay: It's smaller than our car! (We have a Scion, so there's not much smaller than our car...)

Me: I don't know if it's smaller than our car, but it is small.

KayKay: Mommy, is that car so small because it's a car for those small people we were talking about?

Me: *Laughing hysterically*

Hopefully the fact that I find this funny doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities. If it does, however, that's just kind of too bad.
____________________________________________________________________________________

A recent conversation with the Ladybug, after repeated viewings of Toy Story 2:

Me: Let's watch something ELSE this time.

Ladybug: Okay, come help me pick.

Me: Okay, how about The Little Mermaid?

Ladybug: No. She doesn't has feets.

Me: *Chuckling* Okay, well, how about Aladdin? We haven't watched that one in a long time.

*Thinking to myself* Oh, wait, that probably wasn't the best suggestion, because the genie doesn't have feet, either. How much should I bet that she'll remember that and say, "No, he doesn't has feets, either"? Naaaaaaaaah, she won't remember that!

Ladybug: No. He doesn't has feets, either.

Me: *Laughing hysterically*

Ladybug: *Bursts into tears* THAT wasn't THAT FUNNY, Mommy!

Me: *Laughing harder* I'm sorry...
____________________________________________________________________________________

I ran over a butterfly the other day. I couldn't help it. It flew right in front of the car. *Sigh*

And then yesterday, I was driving along, minding my own business, headed with the family to Olivia and Jason's house (our dear friends), when wouldn't you know it, a squirrel waits until just about the time the car gets to it before it decides to RUN ACROSS THE ROAD. *Double sigh*

It brought back traumatic memories. For anyone wondering why that's relevant, please read this post here.
____________________________________________________________________________________

For anyone who doesn't know, I am an avid reader. I'm also a bit of a Holocaust scholar. I hope to go back to graduate school one day and get my graduate degree in Holocaust and Jewish Studies.

Anyway. I'm reading an amazing book right now by French author, Irene Nemirovsky, called Suite Francaise. Irene and her husband were both Jewish, and both became victims of the Holocaust, which makes the book that much more important. Suite Francaise is the first two novellas of what was intended to be a quintet, about the Nazi invasion and occupation of France. They were never finished because Irene was deported to Auschwitz and murdered.

Irene's writing in absolutely AH-MAZING. Her descriptions are tight and brilliantly vivid. her characters, while not always fully developed (it was translated from a manuscript her daughter found in the 1990's), are well-written and conflicted. Simply amazing. Although I really do want to be able to write like This Is Yellow, as I mentioned in my post about color, I also really do want to be able to write like Irene Nemirovsky. What an incredible writer she was. What a loss for the literary world.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of books, I've also started the well-known parenting book, How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So Kids Will Talk. I've wanted to read it for a while, and so far (I'm only about 30 pages into it) I'm quite impressed with it. A lot of it seems like it should be common sense, but simply isn't.

I've already tried out a couple of things with limited success (but I just started it yesterday, so it's too early to tell), and I'm going to continue to try out some of the techniques that are suggested in the book this week. We'll see how it goes.

I really am hoping that practicing this stuff will open up better communication between myself and the girls, particularly KayKay. I'm also hoping that it will help give KayKay the vocabulary she needs to express her emotions in more constructive ways.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Alright. I'm done. That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment